Monday 19 November 2012

To be a Bird

To be a Bird

Days like this
I wish
I was a bird
and unheard
I could fly
across the sky
I wish
I could tear
myself away
from here
not out of fear
but out of sheer
curiosity
and hope
for something good
for something better.
If only I could
fly away
if only light
would shine my way
but alas I remain
a stowaway
For its understood
that people can't be birds
and birds can't be people
but oh how I'd love to
soar like an eagle 
and
scream like a parakeet 
and do you know
how fast cygnets grow
flamingos mostly stand tall
and cranes rarely fall
to the ground
unbound
iridescent wildfowl
shine, 
feathers so fine and
owls stay awake
for the sake
of being
so free.
Oh to be
-to be a bird
and to see
the world from above
to live life like a dove.
On days like this
I wish
I was a bird