Tuesday 19 March 2013

Lichenstein: A Retrospective

I've been a member of the Tate (by default) for over two years now and have been lucky enough to see some really excellent exhibitions, (inc. my favourites the Gaugin, Miro and Offilli exhibitions) Recently I went along to see Lichenstein: A Retrospective not really knowing what to expect... it was quite good, of all of the rooms, room 4 'War and Romance' was by far the most popular...

           
However, my favourite room (typically) was Room 5: Landscapes/ Seascapes. Lichtenstein once stated 'Art relates to perception, not nature.' I thought he really captured this in his landscapes/ Chinese landscapes and seascapes. These paintings were very different to his comic-strip style, colour-rich pop paintings, in that they were abstract, subtle and quietly reflective (I found)... 

In particular, I really liked 'seascape,' I thought it captured the 'idea' of the shore and its elements beautifully, the ripples in the waves, the movement of the wind, the lines... it was strangely static but also conveyed a sense of movement at the same time, in an almost trippy way. I think Lichenstein's perception of the seascape is very close to my own! (took this photo near harwich) Worth a visit.